Established in 1944, the Children’s Museum of Nashville resided on 2nd Avenue South in downtown Nashville. World War II was coming to an end and the nation was beginning to look to the future. Sgt. John Ripley Forbes’ vision for Nashville’s future was focused on children. His enthusiasm for a children’s museum sparked some of the city’s most prominent and influential citizens, including the museum’s first president, Vernon Sharp, Jr. A lease on the old University of Nashville building was signed in November 1944, and on Oct. 30, 1945, the Children’s Museum of Nashville opened its doors to the public.